Tuesday, December 9, 2008

300 Roses

300 Roses: noun. A term to describe anything that sounds way too expensive or impractical for the family budget.

So I picked up a book at the library full of Christmas crafts and recipes. I thought I could gleam ideas for craft activities with Monkey Son #1. Some of the projects were really cute and practical, like how to take parts of old Christmas cards and turn them into new ones. Others seemed super expensive. We're talking about decorations that are going to deteriorate very fast because they are made with things like fresh orange halves. Maybe the authors know something I don't? Maybe the moss slows down decomposition? I don't know, and am not willing to spend a lot of money on what I don't know. Now, I'm not saying the projects aren't pretty. In fact, they're stunning. Just a bit too impractical for my tastes.

What really got my attention was the "Rose Wreath." This project calls for (and I kid you not) 250-300 fresh red roses of varying sizes and hues. After a quick Google research, I find that even at wholesale, just the roses would be at least $250, not to mention the other items needed to make the wreath. I just have to wonder if it would be worth having a rose wreath on your door for a few days a year...

(By the way, I have nothing against anyone who does these kind of projects, but with two young children in my house, space and finances are definitely limited.)

6 comments:

Monica said...

That is just down right crazy! I'm sure it's beautiful, but it certainly doesn't fit my lifestyle!

Kristina said...

I know! There is a picture, and it is gorgeous, but holy cow!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristina said...

Exactly, Nicole. I thought at first that they must mean fake ones. Nope, there it is in print: Fresh red roses.

Kristina said...

I guess I should be clear: It wasn't a children's craft book. It was for adults, but I was looking for ideas.

Kristina said...

Oh, sorry Nicole. I deleted your comment.