Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Non-decorative Decorations

Non-decorative Decoration: noun. A decorative item that, due to the presence of young children, can not be used as a decoration.

We've been to that person's house, haven't we? The one with glass items everywhere? Looks pretty, right?

When you walk into my house, there are no such objects. It's not that I don't have any. I don't have many, but I have some. They mainly reside on top of a very tall wardrobe in my bedroom or on a high shelf in the closet. My favorite of these items is a porcelain Cinderella music box that my grandmother gave me a few years ago, and right now, I'm looking at the shelf I'd like to put it on. But then, I remember my Monkey Sons, or as one or both of them are called at times, Mr. Grabby Hands.

I've seen parents' houses that have such lovely things out in the full reach of their children, and I have to wonder how they do it, and why I can't make whatever they are doing work for me. I may tell them not to touch something, but I know as soon as my back is turned, those little Monkey Boys are going right for the forbidden object.

So for now, my little music box will remain on top of my wardrobe. And as for the parents that have those nice little items everywhere? I choose to believe that those items are broken and replaced on a weekly basis. It makes me feel better about myself.

No comments: