Saturday, July 5, 2008

Baby Song

Baby Song: noun. A song that a baby sings, that though is an actual song, is so garbled it is unrecognizable to adult ears. see also, July 4 entry, "Baby Word."

When Monkey Son #2 learned how to clap a few months ago, I celebrated as only a mother can. I told Husband. I called my sister. I just felt so proud and happy that he could...hit one hand on another. Yes. Definitely a Mommy thing.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when he started clapping at random. Getting out of the car. Sitting on the floor. Clap clap clap. Husband laughed and asked why he was clapping. I had to admit that I had no idea.

But now, we've figured it out. Yesterday, he was sitting on the floor, once again clapping. But this time, he kept saying, "Eh-deh. Eh-deh. Eh-deh."

As I watched him, I formed an idea, and said, "Patty-cake, patty-cake, baker's man. Bake me a cake..."

Bingo! My hunch was rewarded with quite a happy reaction from Monkey Son #2. His clapping, and, um, singing, was merely his baby-talk version of the age old nursery rhyme, and he was thrilled that I finally understood.

Now, if I could just figure out why he occasionally swears off nap time, I'd be set.

And a note to those reading: I'll be taking Sunday and Monday off from the Mom-tionary. The next post will come be on Tuesday.

No comments: