Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Notshower

Notshower: noun. A shower that is interrupted by being a parent.

I wanted to take a shower when I got up this morning, but I decided to wait, just a little while, as I had some things that needed my immediate attention. A few hours later, I was able to put the Monkey Boys in their room to play while I took a shower. As I was putting shampoo in my hair, the phone rang and Monkey Son #1 started banging on his door. I called out to him, asking what he wanted. No answer. So, with phone ringing and me dripping wet, I went to his room.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I don't know...but...you're wet."

Great. That was worth getting out of the shower for.

The phone stopped ringing, but immediately started again. Being called twice in a matter of seconds meant it was Husband calling, and he needed something NOW. I was pretty irritable by this point (is a shower really too much to ask for?), and answered the phone in a really grouchy tone. Husband wanted me to find a certain paper. Now? Yes, now.

"It should be on the table," he told me. But he was very aware of my irritation, and I was quick to try to gloss things over by saying, "It's not you."

I found the paper, and, still wet and none too happy, give him the information he requested.

And yes, once I was able to finish taking a shower, I was in a much better mood.

No comments: