Monday, September 29, 2008

Preschool Manners

Preschool Manners: noun. Actions that would be considered rude by an adult, but seem harmless, even honest, to preschoolers.

I believe I mentioned in a previous post about Monkey Son #1, while helping me pick up, stopped and said, "You get the rest." Wow. If he were an adult, there would be no question that his attitude was rude, but he made no connection that there was anything wrong with what he said.

Preschoolers can be brutally honest. Once, while working at a daycare, one of the workers was expecting a baby relatively soon. A preschooler came up to us wanting to address the subject of a mother's belly getting bigger when she is carrying a baby.

"I thought my mom was going to have a baby," he said. "But she's just fat."

Ouch. I hope he never repeated that to his mom.

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn said...

My toddler said to me once..right after I had his sister, "momma, you got a big butt". Oh yea, that was great! He did then follow it up with, "I have a little butt". But still...