Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dosaster

Dosaster: noun. A domestic disaster.

So...the plumber came today. A very friendly man who certainly seemed to know his business. I explained to him the two problems. Every time I run our washing machine, it backs up into the kitchen sink. And every time I run either the washing machine or dishwasher, water leaks through the wall on the outside of the house.

"They may or may not be related," I stammered. I really hoped that a good snaking out of the pipes would fix the whole thing, despite the laws of physics or common sense.

He had been wearing a smile since he came in, but now his smile changed slightly. It was that sad, sympathetic smile a person gets when they are thinking, "Ma'am, you are not going to like what I am about to tell you."

And I didn't like what he had to tell me. He knew exactly what the problems were and what it took to fix them, but they were, in fact, two separate problems that were unrelated despite them being in the same area.

To fix the washing machine water backing up into the sink: $20. Not bad.

But to fix that leaky pipe, which involves opening up a cinder block wall: $680.

*cough*

Well, it has to be done. And once it is done, I won't have to worry about it.

No comments: