Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sideways Answer

Sideways Answer: noun. An answer a child gives that does not address the question asked.

Let me lay out the situation for you. I was just doing some house chores, and left the living room for a minute to wash my hands. While I was in the bathroom...

Monkey Son #2: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Monkey Son #1: I'm sorry!

Mommy: What did you do?

Monkey Son #1: I said I was sorry!

Mommy: That's not what I asked. What did you do?

Monkey Son #1: I said I was sorry to him!

Mommy [losing her temper]: That. is. not. what. I. asked. What did you do?

Monkey Son #1: I said I was sorry.

Mommy: I am thrilled you said you were sorry! But that is not what I asked! WHAT DID YOU DO?

Monkey Son #1: I said I was sorry to him.

Mommy: Fine! Go to your room. You can come out when you are ready to tell me what happened.

At this point, he grabbed some favorite toys and went off to his room, and played quietly there for about a half hour. Finally, he asked if he could come out, and I asked if he was ready to tell me what happened. He explained, though in a kind of confusing way, that he hit his brother with a large plastic tube. I said he could come out, but I was going to put the tube away for a while. He got mad and started to complain, at which point I offered to send him back to his room. That was the end of that, and the tube is now safely in the closet.

No comments: