Thursday, April 7, 2011

Why baby names are not fun

First off, let me say that I have no idea what's going on with the font size below. I tried to fix it. And tried. And tried. Blogger is not listening to me, apparently.
___________________________________________________________

I've got babies on the brain. I'm even dreaming about babies. It's confusing, so I will be asking my uterus in the next few days why it's sending the rest of my body baby signals, seeing as we've decided not to have any more kids.

But anyway...

So, you're pregnant. And you get the same freaking question for hundredth billionth time:

Have you picked a name yet???

Some people just say no, when they really mean, "Yes, but I'm not going to tell you because you won't like it and I really don't care if you like it in the first place, so HA!"

But when I was preggers with Viking Toddler, when Husband and I said, "No, we haven't picked a name yet," what we really meant was, "We've gone through just about every name in the freaking baby books and can't agree on ANYTHING."

I thought picking baby names was supposed to be some kind of awesome? Wasn't it supposed to be on of the most fun things you've ever done?

Well, whoever said this lied. We spent weeks. WEEKS. Finally, out of desperation, we called Husband's Mom. One of the first names that fell out her mouth made us say, "Yes! FINALLY!" Ok, maybe it wasn't quite so dramatic, but still.

But that was the male name that we had selected. We had decided on a girl's name long before that. Elsie. Her (if it turned out to be a her) would be named Elsie.

Until someone pointed out to us that the name sounded like the name of a cow. I don't mean a mean name for a large women. I mean a literal cow. We shortly thereafter changed it to Elise. Close enough.

2 comments:

kristin said...

Elsie was(is?) the name of the Borden Milk cow. That's probably why they thought it sounded like a cow's name. Of course, that was so long ago I doubt a child with that name would have any trouble today since none of her peers would know about the cow thing.

KJ said...

People totally thought we were yanking their chain when we said we didn't know what to name #4. But, ahem, we have sorta used up copious names with so many kids, right? Plus we don't tell names as a rule so as not to get judged. But this kid had no name. For the first 36 hours of his life... no name. And then he did. And I am glad I didn't settle on something else earlier because it wouldn't have been him!