Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Parenmorph

Parenmorph: verb. When you are suddenly standing in the same position your parents were in with you.

Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, when I was in elementary school, I wasn't finishing my class or homework. Sometimes I was lazy, sometimes I was bored, sometimes I didn't see the point. I mean, if I understood the concept the first time, why do I have to do 15 more times? Family legend says that when my mother talked to the teacher about it, the teacher said, "Doesn't she have nice eyes, though?"

Fast forward to today. Waiting for Philosopher Child to come out of school, his teacher came up to me. She told me, for the 3rd time in the past week, that he is not finishing his classwork. I assured her we would be talking about it with him. Again. (I also took away some favorite activities until he is able to finish his work for a week straight, but that's beside the point.)

"I really want to tell you he had a great day," she said. "I really do. But he had plenty of time to finish, and he didn't. But he's so sweet and has such nice eyes."

Ladies and gentlemen, the Twilight Zone.

1 comment:

Purple Cow said...

I love your story. History just keeps repeating itself, doesn't it?